Wisconsin looks to open season on positive note against Lindenwood

Following an 8-0 rout of the South Korean National Team last Saturday in its lone exhibition game, the No. 2 University of Wisconsin women’s hockey team hosts Lindenwood University this weekend in a two-game series to open its regular season. This will be the seventh straight season in which the Badgers face the Lady Lions. UW holds the all-time series lead 11-0.

In its last exhibition contest, Wisconsin dominated from start to finish, outshooting South Korea 60-5. Senior forward Claudia Kepler and sophomore forward Alexis Mauermann each netted a pair of goals while sophomores Abby Roque and Maddie Rowe and freshman Grace Bowlby each chipped in two assists. Sophomore goaltenders Kristen Campbell, Alyson Baldwin and freshman Breanna Blesi all combined for the shutout.

Last January, the Badgers defeated Lindenwood 5-1, adding to UW’s 74-8 advantage in goals scored through the past 11 contests.

Lindenwood returns its starting goaltender in junior Jolene deBruyn and its leading scorer in senior forward Britannia Gillanders. Gillanders tallied seven goals and six assists during the 2016-17 season and will serve as one of LU's co-captains along with junior forward Shannon Morris-Reade.

The Lady Lions’ went 6-25-2 a year ago including 1-12 over their final 13 contests.

In contrast, the Badgers amassed a 33-3-3 record last season including a 22-game unbeaten streak before falling 3-0 in the National Championship game to current No. 1 Clarkson.

Wisconsin graduated starting goaltender and 2017 Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award winner Ann-Renée Desbiens last season after she lead the NCAA in goals-against average (0.71), save percentage (.963), win percentage (.886) and shutouts (17). Desbiens departs Wisconsin as the NCAA career record holder for shutouts with 55, a 0.90 goals-against average and a .955 save percentage.

While the defeat to Clarkson certainly stung, the 2016-17 campaign was still a memorable one for Wisconsin, as the Badgers captured the WCHA regular season and tournament titles while advancing to the NCAA title game for the first time since the 2011-12 season.

Head coach Mark Johnson will look to add to his totals of four NCAA titles (2006, 2007, 2009 and 2011) and a 428-78-39 overall record this season.

Puck drop at the LaBahn Arena on Friday is 7 p.m. CT while Saturday's contest begins at 3 p.m.