Alex Hornibrook had a record-setting day via the air, completing 18 of his 19 pass attempts in Wisconsin's blowout win over BYU.

Record-setting performance by Alex Hornibrook carries Wisconsin to 40-6 win over BYU

Last week against FAU, Alex Hornibrook watched Jonathan Taylor enter the Wisconsin record books with 223 yards as a true freshman running back.

Evidently, the redshirt sophomore quarterback wanted his own name etched in stone by the No. 10 Wisconsin Badgers (3-0) as Saturday afternoon, BYU (1-3) ended up on the wrong side of a historic performance in a 40-6 contest.

Hornibrook could seemingly do no wrong as he set a Wisconsin school record for completion percentage in a game at 94.7 percent in what was clearly the best game of his young career.

He was actually accurate on 100 percent of his 19 pass attempts, completing 18 of them for 256 yards and four touchdowns, as his lone incompletion came when a pass was dropped by true freshman wide receiver Danny Davis in the first quarter to keep him short of statistical perfection.

And while it was a nearly flawless performance from the young quarterback, he also had quite a bit of help to get him through it. His offensive line gave him plenty of time to scan the field, and the one sack Hornibrook did take was mostly his fault for drifting outside of the pocket and holding the ball too long.

An unstoppable running game certainly didn’t hurt either.

True freshman running back Jonathan Taylor put together another impressive showing, picking up 128 yards and a touchdown on 18 carries. The supposed rotation at the position appears to be more talk than reality, as neither of the other two “co-starters” at the position had more than five carries.

Wisconsin’s offensive efficiency put pressure on the Cougars’ offense led by redshirt sophomore quarterback Beau Hoge, but BYU was clearly not up to the task.

The tone was really set on Hoge’s first pass attempt of the game which was intercepted by redshirt junior linebacker T.J. Edwards. He threw a second interception in the fourth quarter and didn’t score a touchdown, amassing only 111 yards in the game.

Unlike Hornibrook, Hoge didn’t have much help from his offensive line or running game, and his ball-carriers averaged less than four yards per carry on the day.

This was a peak performance by the Badgers on both sides of the ball as they wrap up non-conference play and head into their bye week.

Hornibrook clearly built some major confidence, and with an extra week of preparation, Wisconsin should be more than ready to kickoff its Big Ten schedule with Northwestern at Camp Randall Stadium Sept. 30.