Madison Police Department officers are looking for a suspect — whom they describe as a black man between 35 and 40 years old — after he reportedly crawled in the window of a downtown Madison home over the weekend and stole several items, including a laptop. 

Man crawls in window of downtown home, encounters resident before fleeing with laptop

A 24-year-old West Gilman Street resident was enjoying a sandwich and Netflix Saturday afternoon when a burglar opened his bedroom door and peeked his head in before fleeing with several stolen items, including a laptop and purse.

The incident happened around 2:02 p.m. on the 100 block of West Gilman Street, Madison Police Department Public Information Officer Joel DeSpain said in an incident report.

“I’m out of here,” the suspect reportedly said when he realized the home he had targeted was occupied.

The resident immediately called his roommates, one of which determined her laptop, purse, backpack and other items had been stolen.

The investigating officer determined the suspect accessed the residence through an unsecured first floor window after finding a window screen on the ground, according to DeSpain.

The MPD is reviewing surveillance in the area in hopes of identifying the suspect, who police described as a black man between the ages of 35 and 40 years old, wearing a blue Milwaukee Brewers hat and a yellow short-sleeved shirt.