Badgers, find your balance

September brings the start of a new school year and a clean slate for every student—the chance for reinvention.

As a freshman, the first year away at college can be overwhelming. After your parents leave you on move-in day, you’re on your own. No is one there to make decisions for you, instead, it's all on you. House Fellows may encourage you to engage with the students on your floor and attend the Student Organization Fair, while professors point you towards the library. Ultimately, however, whether or not you participate in any of these activities is entirely up to you.

On the other hand, as a returning student, the new school year brings change and opportunity. The chance to try a new club or take on the leadership role you weren’t qualified for the year before. If another school year has passed you by without achieving your goals—now is the time to tackle what didn’t fit into your schedule before.

Whether you are a freshman or a returner, you attend countless welcome meetings, sit through various orientations and attend try-outs. Within the first few weeks of September, you’ve tried just about everything, switched classes multiple times and are running on an average of five and a half hours of sleep per night. Time to reevaluate your commitments and make some big decisions.

It's easy to forget the real reason every student is on campus—to earn a degree and eventually graduate. Balancing school with extracurricular commitments and seeing your friends every once in awhile is like a puzzle. All the pieces will fall into place eventually, but it may take some time and hard work to get there.

In the first few weeks of school, it is important to take a step back and see the bigger picture. College is about doing what makes you happy. If juggling two jobs, a student org, intramurals and school is stressing you out, determine what you don’t need and let it go. There is always next semester to pick it up again.

So say yes to something new, but don’t be afraid to turn people and opportunities down if something doesn’t feel right. Most importantly, amid all the madness that is college, make time for yourself. Find the gap in your schedule for a quick nap or a trip to the gym. Take a night to hang out with your friends. You’ll be quick to find that you aren’t the only one feeling overloaded.

College is overwhelming, especially when everything is thrown at you at the start of September. Finding balance can be difficult, but is not impossible. It’s all about the choices you make.