Christopher O’Kroley was found dead in his prison cell at Waupun Correctional Institute.

Man serving life sentence for Madison murder found dead in prison cell

A man convicted last year of a murder on Madison’s Far East Side was found dead in his prison cell Monday.

Christopher O’Kroley, 27, was serving a life sentence at Waupun Correctional Institution for killing former grocery store co-worker Caroline Nosal in February 2016.

No cause of death has been announced, according to a statement from the Department of Corrections. The DOC is currently investigating and has contacted the Dodge County Sheriff's Office, the statement said.

O’Kroley killed Nosal last year on his birthday, Feb. 2. O’Kroley apparently committed suicide on Nosal’s birthday, May 1, which Nosal’s mother told the Wisconsin State Journal she thought was “intentional.”

O’Kroley was arrested in February 2016 after shooting Nosal at Metro Market on Cottage Grove Road. He pleaded guilty to the murder in July and was sentenced to life in prison in September.

At his sentencing hearing, Assistant District Attorney Andrea Raymond said the killing was a meticulously-planned “execution.”