JFC holds off vote on UW System tuition cut

The Joint Finance Committee did not vote on Gov. Scott Walker's budget proposal for the UW System because lawmakers were in disagreement over tuition rates.

27-year-old breaks into, scales state Capitol building

Leaving behind blood and shattered glass, a 27-year-old man reportedly broke into the Wisconsin State Capitol after a night of drinking over the weekend. He smashed out two windows and scaled the building in the incident, according to police.

Zachary Bigelow, of Beloit, Wis., was charged Tuesday in connection with the break-in, which police said happened sometime early Saturday morning. He faces tentative charges of criminal damage to property and entry into a locked building, according to a criminal complaint obtained by the Wisconsin State Journal.

Capitol Police officers found two broken windows, blood in several areas of the building and broken glass outside when they arrived Saturday morning, the complaint said. One broken window was located in a first-floor bathroom and another in the southwest wing of the fifth floor. Police also found a discarded shirt and a pair of dress socks, both with blood on them.

A surveillance video allowed police identify Bigelow, who was seen on footage getting into a white 2014 Chevrolet Impala early that morning.

When police tracked down Bigelow, who had cuts on his hands and scrapes on his arms, he admitted to having broken two State Capitol windows and scaling the building. He said he had gone “exploring” after drinking Friday night, first at a nearby casino and later downtown, and entered the Capitol building.

Bigelow noted several times, according to the complaint, that he was still “filling in the missing pieces of what happened.”