We need to end the use of the R-word in the classroom.

We need to do more to stop use of derogatory words for diverse ability

I grew up with a family member with special needs and from a young age I was taught that the word “retarded” was never OK to say.

I knew that this word was insulting to my family member, and I understood that I should never use it because I did not want to hurt him or others with special needs. However, as I started elementary school and grew older, I was shocked by how frequently the R-word was being used.

All the time I would hear my classmates saying to each other “Wow, that was so retarded,” or “Don’t be a retard” when someone had done something that was stupid. If I voiced my concerns for my classmates to stop saying this word, many times I would be ridiculed, made to believe that I was too sensitive or that it was weird I wouldn’t say a word which had become such common slang.

I truly did not understand how people could so carelessly throw around this word that was so inherently derogatory.

My classmates, who were using the R-word, had no idea that I had a family member with special needs. Every time they would say this word it was like a punch to the gut.

Most people who say the R-word have never interacted with a person who has special needs. Because of this, they do not understand the pain this word causes.

If they had, they would be able to comprehend that people with intellectual disabilities are individuals, leaders, friends, athletes, scholars and everything else that non-special needs individuals can be.

The word is used out of ignorance, which can be reduced if people would only take the time to try and educate themselves about others who may have different abilities from them. Just because someone is differently abled does not mean they are stupid or have less value than those without intellectual disabilities.

There is absolutely never an OK reason to say the word “retarded.” Simply put, the R-word is hate speech and insinuates that people who have disabilities are stupid or worthless.

It is not acceptable to call people other slurs and the R-word is no different. When people say the R-word they are doing it to insult someone or make fun of something. This is incredibly offensive, dehumanizing and humiliating to people who have intellectual disabilities or handicaps and their loved ones.

While I’m so happy that because of campaigns like “Spread the Word to End the Word” the R-word is being used less and less frequently as common slang, it can be disheartening when I hear this outdated word still being used.

Even musical artists use the word in their songs. For example, in Iggy Azalea’s 2014 hit song “Fancy” she raps, “and my flow retarded, they speak it depart it.”

This is a mainstream song that played on the radio countless times and is listened to by millions of people. Azalea could have used dozens of other words to rhyme with, but instead she chose to use offensive hate speech.

Instances like this only further encourage others that it’s OK to say this word even though it absolutely is not. It encourages bullying of people with intellectual disabilities and demeans an entire group of people.

Besides celebrities, I was shocked last year when one of my TAs made a joke that made use of the R-word. What was even more disheartening is that some of my classmates laughed along with her.

Clearly, there is still a lot of progress that needs to be made in stopping the use of the R-word.

I implore you: Next time you think about saying the R-word or hear someone else saying it, consider the individuals whose lives you are disrespecting and stand up for what is right.

Madison is a sophomore majoring in English and communication arts. What are your thoughts on the R-word? Have you noticed a difference in its use thanks to recent campaigns? Have you personally changed the way you use it? Please send any questions, comments and concerns to opinion@dailycardinal.com.