Students unsure how to react to statue of Saddam Hussein erected outside Gordon

All articles featured in The Beet are creative, satirical and/or entirely fictional pieces. They are fully intended as such and should not be taken seriously as news.

Late last night,somewhere between 2:00 and 5:00 a.m., an interesting monument was discovered outside Gordon Dining Hall: a statue of former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein. Needless to say, this statue has been troubling to some and really confusing to others.
“I mean, it’s nice and all, I just ... don’t get it,” said freshman Sarah Shaw. “Like, are we celebrating him? Is it an artistic statement? I’d really like some context here, you know?”
Shaw’s reaction is similar to that of most students on campus, as people struggle to link the statue to the values of the university.
“I think…,” said student Will Whisler, who was struggling to find the right words, “that it is a statement on imperialism? But then is it supposed to criticize the U.S. invasion, or criticize Saddam himself? This is weird, man.”
Other students’ questions are more practical in nature, like senior David Lang’s.
“I’m just as clueless to the ‘why’ as everyone, but isn’t anyone else wondering how a 60-foot statue just appeared here overnight?” Lang said. “I mean, how the hell did it get here?”
Despite questions and reactions buzzing throughout campus, the university refrained from commenting on the statue. It is still unclear if the university itself, another group or individuals constructed the monument. No identifying marks can be seen on it, and no one has taken responsibility.
While most reactions have been anger or confusion, some have come out in support of Hussein, such as junior Kevin Shank.
“Yeah, it’s like … I dunno, man, like, it’s probably super deep and shit, and not gonna lie bro, he’s got a pretty dope mustache.”
Further updates are still being waited upon, however the story now seems to be deepening as reports of a bust of Josef Stalin in Agriculture Hall are surfacing.