Darrick Anderson, a 23-year-old Columbus resident, was charged with the murder of Andrew Nesbitt Monday. Blood found on Nesbitt’s kitchen floor matched Anderson’s DNA.

Murder suspect’s blood found in victim’s home

Blood found in the home of a man who was stabbed to death last week was matched to his accused murderer Monday, according to a criminal complaint obtained by the Wisconsin State Journal.

Andrew Nesbitt, 46, was stabbed to death in his North Butler Street apartment March 27. Darrick Anderson, a 23-year-old Columbus resident, was charged with first-degree intentional homicide Monday.

Anderson was originally arrested March 28 after a shoplifting incident at East Towne Mall. When he was taken to the hospital, doctors discovered wounds on his hands consistent with “a knife sliding in a person's hand as the knife was being used,” according to Dane County Medical Examiner Dr. Vincent Tranchida.

The DNA sample taken from Anderson at the hospital was later found to match blood from Nesbitt’s kitchen floor, according to the criminal complaint.

The criminal complaint, filed in Dane County Circuit Court, does not detail a potential motive for the stabbing, nor does it state how the suspect and the victim met.