City News

Mifflin Street Block Party sees spike in attendance despite rainy weather

The Madison Police Department said most participants who attended the Mifflin Street Block Party this weekend were “well-behaved.”

Image By: Ryan Anderson

Thousands of students celebrated Saturday despite muddy conditions and the threat of rain at the annual Mifflin Street Block Party.

An estimated 12,000 people attended the event—more than tripling last year’s attendance of around 3,500—Madison Police Department Public Information Officer Joel DeSpain said in an incident report.

Most participants were “well-behaved,” police said, however, there were incidents involving people throwing objects off balconies.

“Several people, standing on balconies, threw beer cans and other items at police and others,” DeSpain said. “A couple of people went to jail, but there were no serious incidents.”

Around 65 people were issued citations and released for infractions like drinking on streets and sidewalks, carrying glass containers and urinating in public.

Despite a few reports of injuries due to people falling out of trees and off of curbs, as well as reports of “minor property damage,” DeSpain said city officials kept the event as safe as possible.

“The MPD would like to thank the Madison Fire Department, Dane County Sheriff's Officer, and the Janesville Police Department for assistance in keeping the event as safe as possible,” DeSpain said.