The “Veep” season premiere depicts the characters in new roles.

TV Preview: HBO’s ‘Veep’ maintains its witty humor

A year after Selina Meyer’s upset in the presidential election, HBO’s sixth season of “Veep” doesn’t miss a beat as it follows the team in their new roles. With its quick quips and slightly dark humor, “Veep” remains solid even as the show’s setting shifts.

Looking back at the end of the fifth season of “Veep," the finale alludes to a career opportunity for Dan, a wedding for Amy and an impressive upgrade in Catherine’s wardrobe. While exciting things are on the horizon for Selina’s crew, the ex-veep herself seems a tad adrift. After losing the presidency to Laura Montez, Selina is determined to find her next project, whether it be a position in office or a new charity to head.

The show opens with a “where are they now” type intro, giving a quick peek into the gang’s current projects. Following the inauguration of Montez, Selina’s ex-staff members have thrown themselves into their new roles. Dan has newly secured a job at CBS but, as usual, is unhappy with his latest placement, while Amy’s aggressive D.C. personality causes her to butt heads on her fiancé's campaign team.

Within the White House, Jonah makes his return as congressman, attempting to use his cancer to help him get ahead—to little avail. Richard, who made his “Veep” debut back in season three and rose to power after proving his skills in electoral law, appears to be helping Selina with her latest book. Marjorie, Catherine’s girlfriend, continues to work closely with the former veep.

However, through the many shifting roles, Gary remains faithfully by Selina’s side. There is something oddly comforting about Gary’s ever-present satchel, save for the few episodes where he suffered from shoulder pain. Reminiscent of his “Arrested Development” days, Tony Hale’s character is a loyal guy with lingering mommy issues.

Although Selina’s group of misfits has mostly ventured off on their own this season, it seems inevitable that they will make their return to the White House. Within the first episode, Selina is already up to her old tricks, relying on her ex-staff to help “build her legacy.” Looking first to Andrew and Catherine for financial help on her latest project, Selina quickly turns to Mike and Amy for political guidance.

Even as Selina works to land on her feet after political disappointment, Julia Louis-Dreyfus’ lines pack the same punch. Whether Selina decides to seek re-election or start her own television network—a la Trump—the latest season of “Veep" holds onto the darkly humorous plotlines that fans know and love.