A number of state Democrats have declined to challenge Wisconsin’s current governor, Scott Walker, in 2018.

Walker appoints two citizen members to UW System Board of Regents

Gov. Scott Walker appointed two new members to the UW System Board of Regents Wednesday. A Milwaukee attorney and a Green Bay bank executive will join the 18-member board.

The regents act as a governing body for the UW System by creating policy and setting administrative standards. Regents also work closely with university budgets.

Appointee Mike Jones works at a Milwaukee law firm and has experience in corporate governance and commercial transactions. Bob Atwell, the other appointee, is the chairman and chief executive of a U.S. regional bank holding company in Green Bay. Atwell is also on the board of directors for the Hospital Sisters Health System.

Jones and Atwell will replace board members whose terms are up in May.

“We look forward to the leadership of Mike and Bob and thank them for their willingness to service in this capacity,” Gov. Scott Walker said in a statement. “Their diverse experience and expertise will be valuable additions to the UW System Board of Regents.”

Jones and Atwell will be two of the 14 citizen members on the board who serve seven-year terms. The state Senate must confirm the appointments.

The appointments have not been sent yet to the state Senate Committee on Universities and Technical Colleges, according to a spokesperson for state Sen. Harsdorf, chair of the committee.