NCAA Quarterfinal goal

After defeating Robert Morris in the quarterfinals, Wisconsin turns to Boston College in the Frozen Four. 

Drive for five: Wisconsin Badgers must stay out of penalty box, stay true to themselves to advance to title game

In each of the last three years, Wisconsin has advanced to the Frozen Four, needing just two wins in three days to capture a national title.

And in each of those three years the Badgers have lost to archrival Minnesota.

It’s a history that’s inescapable for Wisconsin (32-2-4 overall), even as they prepare to face a new semifinal opponent, the Boston College Eagles (28-5-5). It’s also a history that the team has embraced in their preparations for this year.

“We're running stadiums in the summertime and our strength coach is yelling about doing one more just to make it past the semifinal game,” senior defenseman Jenny Ryan said. “That's definitely a thought that hasn't left anybody's mind all year long even when we've had other goals in mind.”

If they do make it past BC, there’s a chance they’ll have to face the Gophers on Sunday with a championship on the line.

Three years of experience has also prepared the Badgers for the sideshow that accompanies the Frozen Four championship: media appearances, celebratory banquets and a much larger arena than most collegiate women’s hockey players have ever played in.

For Wisconsin, that means being able to relax in a situation where other teams might begin to feel the pressure even before they step on the ice.

“Our mindset has changed a little bit going into that semifinal game and treating it as just another game, even though obviously there's a lot more on the line,” junior forward Emily Clark said. “Not having any expectations, just being in the moment and just doing exactly what we've been doing all year.”

Although they’ve managed to avoid Minnesota for at least a round, the Badgers still face a formidable semifinal opponent with its own set of challenges. BC is of only three teams in the country with both a top-five offense and defense, and it enters the Frozen Four riding a six-game win streak that was punctuated by a 6-0 victory over St. Lawrence in the quarterfinals.

A key for Wisconsin will be keeping the game clean and avoiding the penalty box; BC leads the country in power play goals, scoring at an almost 26 percent rate throughout the season. The Eagles are also dangerous down a player, as they lead the country with 10 short-handed goals.

Their special teams prowess was on display against St. Lawrence, where they scored on the power play to open the game, before adding two more short-handed goals in the second period.

While the Eagles' strength on the man-advantage is well documented, it might be what the Badgers don’t know about their opponent that proves the most significant challenge. The two teams haven’t met since the 2012 Frozen Four, a 6-2 Wisconsin victory, and none of the current players have faced each other in their collegiate careers. The Badgers seem to be relishing the opportunity, albeit with some mixed feelings.

“It's a little bit exciting playing a new team,” Ryan said. “You get to play against players that you've never played before but also it's a little bit nerve-wracking because you really never know what you're gonna see.”

Wisconsin and Boston College will face off in the first semifinal Friday at the Family Arena in St. Charles, Mo.

Puck drops at 5 p.m, followed by the Minnesota-Clarkson semifinal at 8 p.m. The winners of those games will play for a national championship at 2 p.m Sunday.