Campus News

Alec Cook’s lawyers appeal UW-Madison expulsion

A non-academic misconduct hearing committee found former UW-Madison student Alec Cook “responsible for violating university student conduct policies related to a crime of violence.”

Image By: Courtesy of Dane County Jail

The lawyers of Alec Cook—who currently faces 21 criminal charges after 10 women came forward to report sexual assault or harassment—filed an appeal Friday against his recommended expulsion from UW-Madison.

A non-academic misconduct hearing committee found Cook responsible for a crime of violence March 10 and upheld the expulsion recommendation. Chris Van Wagner and Jessa Nicholson, Cook’s lawyers, said the decision was 2-1, and they contested that their client did not receive a fair hearing from the committee.

“Alec contends that the University failed to provide a fair and impartial hearing as required by law,” they wrote. “In particular, Cook was prohibited from insuring that the panel members were free from the influences of the many erroneous media reports.”

The attorneys are calling for UW-Madison Chancellor Rebecca Blank to reject the recommended expulsion and to order a new hearing.

Blank has 30 days from the date of filing to make a decision on the appeal. Her decision will be the final one from the university, but Cook’s lawyers could still appeal Blank’s decision to the UW System Board of Regents within 14 days.

UPDATE June 5, 6:31 p.m. This story was updated to correctly name one of Alec Cook's attorneys.