Spring break workout ideas

Everyone that is going on spring break this year has one thing on their mind: their beach bod. Whether it’s Europe, Central America or the Wisconsin Dells, everyone wants to be looking their best for both their spring break plans and their Instagrams. Here are some easy tips on how to get in tip top shape in just under a month.

Hourly Breaks

Many studies have surfaced about the benefits for students of constant motion and hourly breaks when studying. Taking a brief ten minute walk outside or across the library and back to get water is not only good for studying, but also for our bodies. Taking a break is a good way to keep your body active. If you’re in your room and need a break, use that ten minutes to do a plank and some push ups or possibly some jumping jacks. Anything that involves movement and keeps you active will do.

Get a Workout Buddy

Having someone else right alongside you is a great motivational tool for getting in better shape. Many people were in sports as kids, and the one thing that drove a lot of young athletes was the competitive drive to work together. Not only are you held accountable to your teammate or workout buddy, but you’re naturally driven to work as hard or harder than your friends. Nothing beats being persuaded to go to the gym by a friendly text from your workout buddy.

Set a Goal

Setting a personal goal is a great way to make yourself feel more confident and accountable as well. Although sometimes having someone else give you motivation can help, it doesn’t always work. All of our bodies benefit differently to certain types of workouts. Setting a goal, whether it be a weight goal, overall toning of your body or a set time you work out each week, a goal can help you feel motivation to be accountable for yourself.

Eat Right

Starving yourself and eating nothing will NOT help you look fabulous in your spring break Instagrams. Rather, consider eating right and in moderation. Stock your apartment with tons of fruits and vegetables so that instead of binging on a late night bag of chips, pull out the carrots and dip or make a fruit salad. Many people know that “eating after eight makes you gain weight.” However, eating a proper portion size of healthy food is better than a tub of Babcock ice cream. If you’re absolutely dying for something sweet, nothing is better than natural sugars.

Easy In-Home Workouts

Sometimes half the battle is just getting up and going to the Nat or Serf; the walk there in the cold and the wind is too much. If you don’t want to get outside, one way to stay active each day is using ab or glute challenges that can be found on the fitness page of Pinterest. Starting a ten, fifteen or even thirty day challenge for your six-pack or legs can help you see improvement. Doing lunges across the apartment, or even walking up the stairs instead of the elevator works too. After day thirty, your abs will shine and your confidence will be stronger than ever. Now, it’s time to get off the couch and get working.