Riff Raff’s ‘Aquaberry Aquarius’ is an entertaining mess

Never before in the history of music has the word “butterscotch” been used so many times in a single half-hour (seven by my count). Three years after the revolutionary album Neon Icon, Riff Raff is still somehow making outlandish, cringe-worthy, yet extremely entertaining music.

His newest project Aquaberry Aquarius isn’t a lyrical masterpiece, but it’s hard to ignore his bizarre Lil Wayne-like punchlines fuzed with what is arguably the most eclectic adjective choice in hip-hop delivered with the conviction of Gucci Mane. Where other rappers might come across as incredibly corny, Riff Raff immaculately owns his other-worldly persona.

He makes his ambitions to someday be “eating shrimp on my Burberry blimp,” seem like the most relatable goal that we’ve somehow never thought of.

However, his confidence doesn’t take away from the fact that Aquaberry Aquarius is a complete mess –– like basically all his releases since the classic, Neon Icon. Presented by DJ Afterthought, the production is decent on individual tracks, but there is not a single thread of cohesion between songs.

After jumping from a guitar-driven anthem to a muddy cloud rap, the album tries to cover too many sounds in too short a time without showing any attempt to combine different themes.

The second half of the project takes a small break from the codeine chaos with “I Can’t Wait for Summer,” which is a surprisingly soothing, laid-back summer anthem reminiscent of Sublime and 311. It’s out of place, but also in the upper echelons of any song Riff Raff has ever released. If it doesn’t end up on your cookout playlist this summer, then you need to reevaluate your taste in music, but that’s a whole other argument.

The production is sporadic and the lyrics, for the most part, are lackluster. However, Riff Raff does have moments where semblances of lyrical talent shine through. Using his affinity for alliteration, Riff spits some semi-clever wordplay using a rhyme scheme that isn’t terrible.

On “Codeine Counselors,” Riff Raff showcases his unique style with a rhyme scheme that’s actually kind of impressive: “Jody bond in this bitch as I recline like a 5th / Had to double check my wrist make sure it was still frost bit / Got a aquaberry fist / a ruby red rolex / Codeine Castle in Las Vegas but my body from Texas / Thirsty haters try to sue me while I chill in jacuzzi / Playin’ Sega, clutchin' Uzi, chop your block Freddy Krueger.”

Yes, Aquaberry Aquarius is a complete and utter mess, but it’s pretty entertaining. The question still remains: Is it entertaining because it’s good or because it’s trash? Something tells me it’s a little mix of both.

Regardless of whether you call him Neon Icon, Jody Highroller or Iceberg Simpson, Riff Raff has carved his own path filled with colorful adjectives, which has given him a dedicated fan base that will certainly keep returning to hear more from The Butterscotch Boss.

Grade: C