Dawes embraces spotlight, ups the ante on their tour

The Barrymore Theater may be a little out of the way for most UW-Madison students, but on Monday night, it will certainly be the place to be. Dawes, the alt-folk-rock band from Los Angeles, will be gracing Madison with their presence on the 13th stop of their 50-stop tour.

After the release of their fifth record, We’re All Gonna Die, back in September, the group has been taking advantage of their momentum following the success of their project to try new things as a band.

In an interview with Dawes’ drummer, Griffin Goldsmith, he said the An Evening With Dawes tour is more than just a typical concert. With two full hours to perform and no opening acts, Dawes has the spotlight focused on them in a way they haven’t had ever before. Naturally, showmanship is at the core of this new venture.

“We’re getting a chance to really stretch and play a lot more material than we normally do in a single set,” Goldsmith said. “That’s kind of the whole concept behind the tour. Just really try to show off our live chops.”

In addition to a two-plus-hour set, the band is giving fans a completely new experience with the addition of two musicians who are new to the Dawes performances. Lee Pardini, a new band member who played keys on We’re All Gonna Die, and Trevor Menear, a guest on tour giving help with his skills on guitar, will both be there to assist with what Dawes is trying to accomplish in their new tour format.

“They’ve added so much to the live set, I can’t even articulate it. You’d have to come and see for yourself. They’re both monsters on their instruments,” Goldsmith said. “I think it’s important to give them a shout-out because there’s definitely a change with what’s happening right now live, and a lot of it, if not all of it, is because of them.”

More than two hours of raw talent from an extremely talented band. What more could you possibly want? Goldsmith also claimed that they’re all “serious foodies,” so it’s absolutely critical that they find cheese curds and Spotted Cow as soon as their set is over so they can have the full Wisconsin experience.