Business school dean Massey resigns after one semester

Business school names three dean candidates

The Wisconsin School of Business was founded in 1900 as one of the first five business programs in the nation, and it’s about to undergo a change in leadership.

François Ortalo-Magné, current dean of the business school since 2011, is leaving UW-Madison this summer to take on a new role as dean of the London Business School. Due to Ortalo-Magné’s impending absence, a 17-member search and screen committee chaired by accounting professor Terry Warfield has named three individuals fit for the job at UW-Madison.

The committee presented their recommendations to UW-Madison Chancellor Rebecca Blank and Provost Sarah Mangelsdorf last Wednesday.

Search committee chair Warfield expressed the seriousness of this decision.

“Each candidate has a list of impressive accomplishments in areas we believe will be important to the future of our school, our alumni and business partners, and to the campus as a whole.”

According to a UW-Madison news release, the job description of the dean includes, “the chief academic and executive officer, with responsibility for faculty and staff development, personnel oversight, fundraising, budget planning and management, curriculum and student academic affairs.” With an annual budget of $69 million, responsibility for 80 tenured faculty and 260 staff members, the dean’s job has many responsibilities, which is why Warfield’s search committee carefully selected these candidates.

The first candidate is Gene Anderson, a marketing professor at the University of Miami School of Business Administration. At Miami, he strove to advance the school’s position as “The Business School of the Americas.”

Next is Raj Echambadi, a professor in the College of Business at University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. He received his master and bachelor degrees from Anna University in India.

The final recommendation is Anne P. Massey, an information systems professor at the Kelley School of Business at Indiana University. She is currently working as associate vice president in the Office of the Executive Vice President for University Academic Affairs.

Public presentations of each nominee and their plans for the job will be carried out in the Plenary Room of Grainger Hall for all three candidates this upcoming week.