Badgers best No. 43 Clemson behind O'Hoisin, fall to No. 24 Cornell

This past weekend was a mixed bag for the Wisconsin men’s tennis team. Against the No. 43 Clemson Tigers (8-4 overall), the No. 31 Badgers (6-2) ran away with a 4-1 victory on Saturday. It was a team effort, but the biggest standout of the day was sophomore Osgar O’Hoisin. O’Hoisin took his doubles match with ease, playing alongside senior John Zordani. The Dublin, Ireland, native came out for another go in singles, where he took care of Clemson’s Sam Edwards. disposing of him in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2.

Josef Dodridge and Chema Carranza, two juniors playing together for the 14th time this season, used their chemistry to dismantle Clemson's duo of Airturo Pinazo and Robert Dudley. Dodridge did his best O’Hoisin impression, winning his singles match in straight sets in a grinding 6-3, 7-5 win.

Coming off their dismissal of Clemson, the Badgers geared up for a matchup with Cornell (11-1) in hopes of making it a weekend sweep in Ithaca, N.Y. Big Red came into the match ranked No. 24 in the country, with their lone loss coming to No. 18 Columbia last week.

As has been the rule for the Badgers, they took the doubles category with ease. Eight matches into the spring season, UW has yet to miss out on a doubles category win. Unfortunately for head coach Danny Westerman and his team, that was not the case in singles for the Badgers. They were only able to steal two singles matches off of excellent showings from Lamar Remy (6-3, 6-4) and Daniel Soyfer (6-3, 6-2). Ultimately, the Badgers fell to Big Red 4-3.

Splitting the weekend has still got the Badgers sitting in a great place, two games away from the start of Big Ten play.

Coming up next for Wisconsin is Eastern Illinois. Thus far, Eastern Illinois has managed a lowly record of 2-8, only beating winless schools: Saint Joseph’s and Saint Francis.

The Badgers will square up with the Panthers Friday at 11 a.m. in Madison.