UW-Madison ranks third in Ph.D.’s earned

UW-Madison awarded 836 Ph.D.’s in 2015, earning the number three spot in the nation, according to the Survey of Earned Doctorates. The university fell behind only the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor and the University of Texas-Austin.

Overall, 2015 was a record-breaking year with 55,006 doctoral degrees being awarded across the U.S.

The university ranked highly in number of science doctorates; UW-Madison took the second spot in physical and earth sciences and fourth in life sciences, according to data tables posted on the National Science Foundation website. In all other categories UW-Madison ranked in the top 15 nationwide.

Besides quantity, UW-Madison doctoral degrees are set apart by their quality, said William Karpus, dean of the Graduate School. SED data showed UW-Madison was 13 percent above the national average with three-quarters of doctoral students placed in jobs or negotiations prior to graduation. Additionally, 19 percent of new graduates have secured employment with a tenure track.

“Our graduate degree holders bring value to Wisconsin,” Karpus said. “Over half of our master’s degree recipients and nearly a quarter of our doctoral awardees stay in the state after graduation, a net gain that brings an innovative edge to our state’s economy.”