Pushing personal limits builds grit and character

Many people can push their mind or body to the limit, but very few people can push their mind and body past their breaking point and continue moving forward.

I challenge everyone reading this to sign up for that triathlon, marathon, or 5K you’ve been telling yourself you’ll train for. Go for that 100-mile bike ride you’ve been wanting to accomplish. Start writing that book or creating that new smartphone app or computer program you’ve been thinking about. Compose some original music or set your sights on summiting a mountain. The only way to understand ourselves, know our limits and improve our minds and bodies is to push ourselves.

Last year I went to a talk given by Lonnie Bedwell. Bedwell was named National Geographic’s 2015 Adventurer of the Year, has whitewater kayaked the Zambezi River in Africa, the Gauley River in West Virginia and the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon. He has climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro, summited many of North America’s highest peaks and downhill skies when he is not roofing in Duggar, Ind. Oh yeah — he is also blind.

In 1997, Bedwell was injured in a hunting accident that permanently blinded him. A former Navy Petty Officer, he got involved in a program for veterans called Team River Runner. This organization helped him get started with whitewater kayaking, which led him to other outdoor sports. Not someone to complain, give up, or feel sorry for himself, he worked on achieving independence and reaching for goals after his accident. One of Bedwell’s most important lessons is that “Vision is in the mind. Don’t let your eyesight blind you from your vision.” Another lesson he teaches is that “The only thing keeping you from having the things you want is your will. Comparison is the thief of joy.” Bedwell is trying to teach that by creating goals and visions for ourselves, we can strive to be better individuals. He wants all of us to believe that we can do great things, but only if we stop worrying about what other people are doing or might think of us.

Bedwell also instructs to “Humble yourself and swallow your foolish pride,” and that “Only you can define you.” Many times during Bedwell’s adventures he had to rely on help from other people. He realized his limitations and sought advice from those around him. Bedwell has accomplished many remarkable things, but he has never done them alone. He always had a trusted group around him that he could count on.

On our way to reaching our goals we will experience adversity. When this happens, we should think about what Arthur Golden, an American author, had to say about adversity: “Adversity is like a strong wind. It tears away from us all but the things that cannot be torn, so that we see ourselves as we really are.” Adversity is something that should be welcomed, not avoided. Furthermore, our eyesight often blinds us from realizing our true potential. By focusing on our vision and overcoming adversity to push our minds and bodies past their breaking points, we can achieve great things.

Life should be considered a constant learning process where we are always trying to better ourselves mentally, physically and spiritually. As college students we are in the perfect time of our lives to experiment and try different things. There is no time like the present so stop making excuses and join that new club or organization and begin striving for your life’s goals. Create a bucket list and do something every day that gets you closer to checking items off it. After all, there is no greater reward for a job well done than the personal satisfaction of having done it.

In the words of journalist Hunter S. Thompson, “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow! What a Ride!’” So go out and live your life!

Thomas is a senior majoring in Psychology and History. Do you think pushing your personal limits builds grit? Please send all comments, questions and concerns to opinion@dailycardinal.com.