Two new restaurants—Italian dining joint, Strada (pictured above), and salad place, Carte—and der Rathskeller began serving food Tuesday in Memorial Union.

New eateries, Der Rathskeller open in Memorial Union

Memorial Union fired up the grills at two new restaurants and familiar eatery, Der Rathskeller, Tuesday.

Der Rathskeller will sell the familiar sandwiches, wraps and comfort food they sold before the construction, and have added breakfast items that will be served each morning.

Carte is one of the new restaurants and features a menu of healthy food choices. According to Wisconsin Union Restaurant Division Director Jim Long, the eatery uses local ingredients, including Babcock Cheese from campus and lettuce grown using aquaponics in Belleville.

“Food service industry research says that students have moved away from fast food and cafeteria food,” Long said. “The research says students want made-to-order, fresh food. Our ‘fast, casual’ dining concepts answer those needs with fresh ingredients and lots of options prepared when they are ordered.”

Strada, an Italian street food-style restaurant, is the other new eatery. The fresh ingredients are used in piadinas, which are Italian flatbread sandwiches and thin crust pizzas.

Long said the restaurants had a busy opening day. He said he believes the success will continue and the dining spaces will be a “crown jewel” on campus because of the early feedback Wisconsin Union received from the public.

“During the development phase of our restaurants, we received input from student groups and the campus community through forums and surveys,” Long said. “These concepts are a direct result of what we heard the community wanted and needed.”