Presidential recount wraps up in Wisconsin with no major changes

Green Party candidate Jill Stein’s $3.5 million presidential recount came to a close in Wisconsin Monday with only 1,769 of the 2.95 million ballots differing from the Nov. 8 count.

President-elect Donald Trump beat Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton by a count of 22,178 votes in Wisconsin on Election Day. After the recount in 72 counties, Trump collected 162 additional votes, according to the Wisconsin Elections Commission.

“With the recount finished in Wisconsin, we applaud the countless workers and observers who helped ensure a full recount throughout the state,” Stein said in a press release.

Although 47 counties used a hand recount, Stein expressed disappointment that the whole state did not employ a hand recount. A Dane County judge rejected Stein’s Dec. 1 request that each county use a hand recount before the recount commenced.

Dane County, one of the largest counties to recount each ballot by hand, finished under budget Saturday night. Clinton picked up 172 votes in the county while Stein picked up two votes.

“This recount was never about changing the outcome; it was about validating the vote and restoring confidence in our voting system,” Stein said. “The recount in Wisconsin raised a number of important election integrity issues that bear further assessment and serious action to ensure we have integrity and confidence in our electoral system.”

Critics said Stein’s concern about machine errors, manipulations and voter issues were unfounded.

“Now that this absurd political stunt has ended, we can focus on coming together behind common-sense reforms in Washington and an agenda that will move Wisconsin and this country forward,” said Republican Party of Wisconsin Executive Director Mark Morgan

Stein is facing recount challenges in Pennsylvania and Michigan, where judges have halted efforts in both states.