Nurse records hat trick as Badgers dominate rematch with No. 2 Minnesota

Wisconsin senior captain Sydney McKibbon knew that for the Badgers to beat No. 2 Minnesota they would need to start fast.

“We’ve gotta come out flying tomorrow in the first eight to 10 minutes and try to get a couple goals in the first period,” McKibbon said following Saturday’s 2-0 loss.

The Badgers followed her advice as top-ranked Wisconsin (11-2-1 WCHA, 15-2-1 overall) knocked off No. 2 Minnesota (12-2-2, 14-2-2) 8-2, Sunday afternoon at LaBahn Arena to split the Border Battle.

Wisconsin scored four first-period goals, including two from senior forward Sarah Nurse, who gave the Badgers a 1-0 lead. After Minnesota tied the game at one, UW knocked three pucks past Gopher goalie Sidney Peters in a span of 1:06, with goals coming from McKibbon, Nurse and junior forward Baylee Wellhausen. The Gophers answered with a power-play goal late in the period to cut the deficit to 4-2.

“We got off to a late start yesterday, and I think that was kind of our downfall,” Nurse said. “So coming out today in the first ten minutes was huge for us and I think that we get teams on their heels and we’re good to go.”

Despite being out-shot in the period 5-4, Wisconsin built onto its lead, adding two more goals. Just under two minutes into the second period, Nurse completed her second hat trick of the season—and became the first Badger to ever score a hat trick against the Gophers. Wellhausen netted her second goal of the game, firing the puck past Peters midway through the period to put the Badgers up 6-2.

“We came out today in the first and second period and showed how good of a team that we are and I think we have another gear to kick it in,” Nurse said. “So I’m excited to see what the rest of the season is going to look like.”

Forwards Annie Pankowski and Alexis Mauermann each added a goal to finish off the Gophers and secure an 8-2 victory. Minnesota gave up eight goals for the first time since 1999, and the first time ever against the Badgers.

“It’s a game of some nights getting bounces, other nights not getting bounces. It was a pretty wild period where you come out 4-2 against two teams who are defensively pretty good over the course of the season,” coach Mark Johnson said. “The big thing was to continue to try to play hard and solidify the habits that you’re trying to get these kids to understand and make the game easier. I didn’t think that we would score eight goals here this afternoon, but it is a good win, a good weekend.”

The Badgers head on the road to Columbus, Ohio to take on Ohio State next weekend.