ASM passes legislation to protect undocumented students system-wide

The Associated Students of Madison Student Council passed legislation Wednesday to protect undocumented students in the wake of the recent presidential election.

UW-Madison’s response to the 2016 presidential election results awakened fears of uncertainty and a call to action for undocumented students. Students organized a protest march to the state Capitol after Trump’s election, which brought many people from historically marginalized communities forward to voice their opinions.

Chancellor Rebecca Blank released a statement earlier this month following the election to express her desire for UW-Madison to become a sanctuary campus. ASM decided to act upon both the election results as well as Blank’s call to protect undocumented students.

The legislation moves to create a public declaration of support for undocumented immigrants and an office for them, as well as allowing the university to withhold information regarding undocumented immigrants from federal immigration officials.

Some council members questioned the practicality of this legislation, arguing that attempting to supercede federal law and protect undocumented students would not be legal.

“You can declare a place to be a sanctuary city, but federal law trumps that,” Chair Carmen Goséy said.

Other representatives voiced opinions that this legislation could present a united front in support of undocumented students.

“Practicality aside, [the legislation] shows that us as a body want to let the campus know that this is what we believe in,” Representative Tyriek Mack said.

With small amendments proposed by Representative Katrina Morrison, the UW Sanctuary legislation passed unanimously to also include the entire UW System, instead of solely UW-Madison’s campus.

ASM also took a roll-call vote on Mack’s removal as a result of his three unexcused absences. The vote failed to achieve a two-thirds majority for removal, and Mack will remain on Council.