Kunin played a huge role in the Badgers win Saturday. 

Wisconsin moves three games above .500 with win over Merrimack

Wisconsin, who has shown the ability to play dominant hockey, especially offensively, has struggled to assert their dominance early. Plagued by slow starts for the majority of the year, the Badgers have emphasized putting the pressure on the opponent from the opening puck drop. Tonight, the Badgers did just that.

Just 21 seconds into the game, sophomore forward Luke Kunin picked up the puck in the slot and found a way to beat the Merrimack (4-6-3) goalie to give the Badgers (6-3-0) an early 1-0 lead. Even though this early goal was instrumental in the Badgers' 3-2 win, it was a microcosm of Wisconsin’s inconsistent play throughout the duration of the game.

Despite asserting themselves as the better team in the opening seconds, the Badgers struggled to maintain this dominance for the full 60 minutes.

“[We could use some] improvements, especially in the second period. That’s when they got back in the game,” Granato said. “The start was great. The first 20 minutes was great … But their neutral zone play was good. It was better than ours in the second. Hopefully we can play a more 60-minute type of game.”

The Badgers had stretches, like the majority of the second period, where they played passive and let Merrimack dictate the pace.

“You know, there were parts of that game where we got a little bit flat, and I think they were able to frustrate us a little bit with that clogged up neutral zone play that they were effective with in the second period especially,” Granato said. “We were in pretty good control of that game all the way through the first, and I think we tried to keep that momentum going in the second but the adjustment they made in the neutral zone was solid for them.”

Going forward, the Badgers will continue to emphasize playing a full game; but, at least for tonight, Wisconsin had enough good stretches to ultimately earn the win.

It was not simply the quantity of good stretches that allowed Wisconsin to come out on top, but the quality of play during those stretches. When the Badgers were playing well and carrying the momentum, they were dominant. Wisconsin created multiple scoring chances throughout the game.

Specifically, Wisconsin has been looking to get off to an elusive hot start this whole season, and that emphasis and work finally came to fruition.

“We had a great start,” junior forward Ryan Wagner said. “In the past, the first shift is a big one, and tonight it went our way, and we have to build from that.”

When Wisconsin is at their best, like they were in the first period, they are dictating the tempo through quick transitions from the defensive zone into the offensive zone. Kunin’s goal, along with numerous other chances, were created from fast rushes through the neutral zone and driving to the net from the outside of the offensive zone.

“We’ve established ourselves in a lot of different areas. One, I think we’re an exciting team to watch,” Granato said. “I would love to see more people at the games to appreciate the Seamus Malone plays, the Wagner plays, the Kunin plays. Besse. I mean, we got so many guys that make so many plays that hockey guys love to see.”

With Kunin, Wagner and the rest of the Badgers playing with a vengeance like they did tonight, Wisconsin is three games above .500 for the first time since 2013-'14, and still looking to climb up the win column.

“Everyone’s hungry to win,” Wagner said. “We want to be there in Chicago come April. That’s what we’re fighting for.”