Republicans unanimously renominate Ryan despite Trump clashes

House Republicans renominated Paul Ryan, R-Wis., as speaker of the House Tuesday, despite past feuds between Ryan and President-elect, Donald Trump.

Initially, some Republicans had speculated that Ryan may not be renominated because he did not back Trump early in his campaign.

Ryan claimed many of Trump’s proposals were unjust, and “not what this country stands for,” and Trump suggested that Ryan would face consequences for his lack of support.

At Tuesday’s meeting, Ryan showed a new support for Trump. Claiming they speak “virtually every single day,” Ryan said the pair are working to “make sure that this is a very successful administration.”

With no other lawmakers announcing a bid for speaker, most Republicans are choosing to stick with Ryan.

Rep. Chris Collins, of New York chose to endorse Ryan. Collins is the new congressional liaison for Trump’s transition team and was the first member of Congress to support Trump for president.

“I am seconding Paul Ryan’s nomination today as sign of Trump’s support for Mr. Ryan,” Collins said.

To retain his job, Ryan will have to win at least 218 votes in January. Republicans will hold 239 seats, giving Ryan a slight cushion.

House Democrats, in response to the election results, postponed their elections until Nov. 30. Some House Democrats believe it is time for a change, suggesting that U.S. Rep. Tim Ryan, D-Ohio, should challenge U.S. Rep. Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., to serve as House minority leader.