Kaine lobbies for early voting, hits Trump in campus visit

Vice presidential nominee Tim Kaine urged students to vote early and volunteer in the next six days ahead the election during a rally for Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton at Gordon Dining and Event Center Tuesday,

Kaine was joined by U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., and Rep. Mark Pocan, D-Wis., none of whom mentioned the FBI’s decision to reopen the case of Clinton’s private email server.

FBI Director James Comey announced the reinvestigation in light of new emails discovered while investigating former congressman Anthony Weiner.

Kaine, who has campaigned in Wisconsin three times since becoming Clinton’s running mate in July, stressed the importance of early voting in the swing state, stating that voters should take nothing for granted.

“Polls can be wrong,” said Kaine. “Early voting can get data that really shows you how the election is going.”

With less than a week until the election, polls are expected to tighten. Kaine praised Wisconsin for its high early voter turnout and its “proud progressive position.”

“I voted last week because Wisconsin has a bad reputation of long lines and I wanted to get my vote in,” said freshman Brian Canup. “It worked well with my schedule.”

A few hundred people of all ages attended the vice presidential candidate’s rally to hear how Clinton and Kaine would fix pressing issues by refinancing student loans, boosting wages, creating jobs, protecting the environment and supporting equality. Contrary to Bernie Sanders’ rallies that promote voters to focus mainly on the issues, Kaine presented the election as a choice between two individuals.

“Hillary and I are both strong supporters [of education]," said Kaine. “Trump looks at education and says 'hey, I can make some money.' Trump set up a bogus university [Trump University] and got people to max out their credit cards.”

Kaine also questioned some of Trump’s actions while on the campaign trail, such as criticizing Muslim parents of a fallen soldier, negatively describing women and calling Mexicans criminals as rapists.

“What kind of person has that thought or lets it come out of his mouth?” asked Kaine. “This guy wants to be commander in chief?”

The Virginia senator encouraged voters to take an underdog mind-set and volunteer for one extra hour or knock on one extra door until election results are in.