After suffering through two brutal seasons, Corbin McGuire and the Badgers can still capture a share of the conference title.

Granato and company split weekend in Colorado, have chance to prove themselves over next couple weeks

Since Tony Granato took over as head coach of the Badgers, the program has looked more energized and driven to succeed. From day one, their motto has been defined by a newfound hunger for success, and that work ethic has led them to becoming a much stronger team at this point in the season than even Granato himself thought that they would be.

Still, after a weekend in Colorado that saw the Badgers (7-5-0) beat Colorado College (3-9) and lose to No. 2 Denver (9-2-3), Wisconsin is learning that in order to beat the top teams in the nation, effort can only take you so far without proper execution.

The Badgers road weekend is still an improvement from last season’s woes. Wisconsin won only eight games all of last year, and have already won seven, including just barely losing to the No. 2 team in the country, without injured freshman forward Trent Frederic. Still, with a new coaching staff and new expectations, the threshold of genuinely competing with the top teams is one that the Badgers are not willing to fall short of.

"It was a good weekend for us because we learned from what just happened," Granato said. "There are some areas we need to get better at to be a top team, but I don't think we are that far away from being in a position to beat these top teams.”

In order to get over that hump and beat elite programs, the Badgers must consistently execute and play smart hockey, especially in the defensive zone.

Against Colorado College, and even in the first game of the season against Boston College, Wisconsin played much more sound defensive hockey, keeping the puck away from the center of the ice in the defensive zone. They did not chase through the neutral zone and behind the net and grabbed a 2-1 win.

"They didn't have much," Granato said after the Colorado College win. "And when they did, we were willing (to have) shot blockers and we kept them to the outside. Defensively, we played a real solid game.”

Conversely, against Denver, the speed of DU left holes in the Wisconsin defense, allowing shots from the slot that ultimately accumulated in the second most goals the Badgers have conceded this season, falling 6-5 to the Pioneers.

"I don't think we were quite as sharp as we were last night,” Granato said. "Early in the game defensively, we weren't quite as aggressive as we were last night. We gave their team, which is extremely talented, a little more time and space and that is enough for them to make plays.”

Going forward, the Badgers have all the tools and the right attitude to compete with the top teams in the nation.

"We battled for every inch of ice," Granato stated after the win against Colorado College. "You compete like that, you are going to have success no matter who you play. We emptied the tank.”

Even against Denver, Wisconsin battled all 60 minutes, giving themselves a chance to comeback despite being down 5-2 in the second period and 6-3 in the third.

In order to move from competing to beating, however, the Badgers will have to get defensive performances like they did against Colorado College, Boston College (in game one), St. Lawrence and Clarkson much more consistently. They need to find a way to get ahead and play a solid defensive game, rather than having to chase offensively.

In the coming weeks, the Badgers will match up against Omaha, Michigan, Michigan State and Minnesota, giving Wisconsin plenty of opportunities to show that this team is ready to beat the best.