Wisconsin rebounds from tough loss with 3-0 victory over UW-Milwaukee

Wisconsin (3-2-1 Big Ten, 8-3-2 overall) bounced back from its heartbreaking loss to Maryland with a defeat of UW-Milwaukee (3-2-1 Horizon , 6-6-3 overall) 3-0 Tuesday night, as three different Badgers all chipped in with goals.

Though junior midfielder Christopher Mueller is still upset about the recent loss, he was proud about the way his team responded, earning a comprehensive win against an in-state rival.

“Every setback is an opportunity for a comeback,” Mueller said. “That’s the way we look at it. It was definitely a hard loss to take at Maryland, we believe we should’ve came out of there with three points, but it is what it is. Soccer is a funny game and we just came out and took care of business today.”

Mueller was not incorrect in his assessment of his team’s performance Tuesday. The Badgers got off to a quick start, as senior forward Brian Hail scored his first goal of the season inside the ninth minute. Junior forward Mark Segbers assisted the goal, and he had an impressive first half, routinely finding the ball in space and taking on defenders, relishing the chance to push forward with frequency.

After Wisconsin’s opener, however, Milwaukee eased into the game, and the Panthers were the better team for the remainder of the half. They found relative success in the attacking third, managing impressive buildup play and crafting decent half-chances.

Head coach John Trask wasn’t entirely pleased with his team’s finish to the first period, and reemphasized to his attackers at halftime the importance of direct play to offsetting Milwaukee’s pressure.

“As the first half wore on, they were pressing us a little higher, and we weren’t doing a good job of recognizing that,” Trask said. “But that’s the good thing about this team, we can possess through the midfield, but if they’re overloading the midfield, we’re able to go a little bit more direct. When we go direct up to Tommy [Barlow] and these guys, and we win knockdowns, and Mark [Segbers] and Chris [Mueller] are busting out of the midfield, that’s a dynamic attack too.”

Trask’s halftime talk clearly had some impact on the Badgers, as they looked far more dominant and in control during the second half.

Mueller had a helping hand in two set pieces, first putting away a penalty inside the 52nd minute after junior midfielder Mike Catalano was fouled, and then curling a gorgeous free kick into sophomore Sam Brotherton’s head, setting the defender up for his third goal of the season. Trask was pleased with those goals and said that continued success from set pieces is vital to Wisconsin progressing as a team.

By the 70th minute, the Badgers held a commanding 3-0 lead, as the starters were rested in order to give some substitutes cameo appearances.

20 minutes later, the score hadn't shifted and Wisconsin claimed another victory, but Trask was already focused on Friday’s game vs. No. 7 Indiana, his alma mater.

“They’ll have their red on, we’ll have our whites on, and it is going to be a big time collegiate soccer game,” Trask said. “I just hope the fans and the state come out and watch it, because they’re very good and we’re very good. Let’s put the ball down and play Friday night, I can’t wait to watch it.”

Friday, the Badgers will look to achieve two things that have proved to be elusive thus far: a fourth conference win, and a statement victory showing they are more than just a decent team capable of bullying weaker opponents.