Tom Barlow

Tom Barlow scored one of Wisconsin's three goals Tuesday night. 

Trio of juniors leads Badgers to victory over Green Bay

The Badgers (3-1-1 Big Ten, 7-2-2 overall) offense woke up Tuesday night against in-state rival UW-Green Bay (1-2-2 Horizon League, 2-8-2 overall), shredding the Phoenix defense for three goals to earn a 3-0 victory.

Wisconsin fooled defenders all night with heady passes and touches capped off by electric finishes. The three-headed monster of an attack took form in junior forward Mark Segbers, junior midfielder/forward Chris Mueller, and junior forward Tom Barlow.

In the 18th minute, Segbers made a dashing run to goal, that was initially halted by Phoenix defenders. Mueller then fired a backdoor ball to Barlow, who was just inches from finishing the run with a header in the net. This run set the tone for the rest of the night, as the trio got its first goal after a breakaway was abruptly stopped by Tyrus Sciarra, who drew a yellow after barking at the ref with his thoughts about the call. This set up a free kick for Chris Mueller.

Mueller is no stranger to turning set pieces into points, as he beat the Saint Louis Billikens on a free kick two weeks ago. He once again bested the keeper in the 24th minute with a darting strike that had no chance of being stopped. It was his fourth goal on the season, a team high. Coming off a throw-in at the 34th minute, senior midfielder/forward Brian Hail made his case for the role of Badgers backup QB, with an opportunistic entry pass that perfectly set up senior defenseman Matej Radonic for his second goal in as many games.

“It feels great. Just using the opportunity that coach gave me,” said Radonic. “And then taking the chances that other teams give me and [capitalizing].”

After scoring last Sunday at Michigan State, Radonic has helped fill the void of sophomore captain defenseman Sam Brotherton, who is away with the New Zealand National team, by providing offense from the backline. The goal was the defender’s first goal in front of the home crowd.

“It’s my first time, so I’m very excited you know,” said Radonic through a big grin. “It was crazy.” The Badgers scoring didn't stop there, with the junior trio initiating an attack deep in the Green Bay box. They executed a perfect give-and-go, with Barlow and Mueller doing the giving, and Segbers finishing the tactical passes with a perfect strike into the net.

Barlow raised his arms in the air after the finish, showing the excitement of a great play coming to fruition.

“[It was a] great feeling. It's been awhile since I’ve scored a goal,” said Segbers. “Whatever I can do to help the team is always the number one thing on my mind.”

The trio ended the night with two goals, and two assists, with Mueller notching one of each, as he has been the focal point of the offense all season.

The Badgers were also notable in their embracing of one another, as well as cheering on subs when they entered, displaying the chemistry this team has built.

The Badgers have not dropped a match since a double overtime loss at Penn State September 23. A matchup with the red-hot No. 1 Maryland Terrapins (5-0-1 Big Ten, 10-0-2 overall) Friday in Maryland looms as the possible legitimizing game of the Badgers’ Big Ten title aspirations.

“I think if we score first, we have a good chance,” said Radonic. “Because we have a very good defense, and I have confidence in all of the guys, even from the bench.”

Wisconsin will need its defense to show up ready to take on the daunting challenge of stopping the prolific Terrapin offense Friday night.