Diversity committee presents report, discusses Diversity Forum

As issues of diversity and inclusion have become increasingly prominent at UW-Madison, many students, faculty and administrators have called for reforms on campus. What has been more challenging, however, is figuring out who will implement those changes and what they will look like.

At the University Committee meeting Monday, Chief Diversity Officer Patrick Sims and nursing professor Linda Oakley presented the annual reports for the last three years of the Campus Diversity and Climate Committee, an organization dedicated to improving diversity and inclusion on campus.

Oakley, who serves as the faculty co-chair of the CDCC, presented the functions of the committee, including collaborating with Sims on university diversity plans, meeting with Chancellor Rebecca Blank to discuss policy and providing updates on reports to shared governance bodies.

The report also highlighted some of the most important actions taken by the CDCC each year. In the 2015-’16 year, these items included Sims’ permanent appointment as Vice Provost and Chief Diversity Officer and the CDCC’s role in planning the 2016 Diversity Forum, which will take place Nov. 1. Oakley also highlighted the CDCC’s commitment to clarifying its role in improving campus climate, and how it can put discussions of improving climate into action.

Sims said by having organizations like the CDCC focus on these issues, the university is moving in a positive direction.

“We’re in a good place compared to where we were three years ago,” Sims said.

Sims also expressed his optimism for the positive impact the Diversity Forum will have. The forum will feature keynote speaker Rabia Chaudry, an American Muslim activist known for her advocacy on behalf of Adnan Syed, subject of the podcast “Serial.”

The forum will also feature a town hall moderated by Sims titled “Communities in Crisis.” Sims said the discussion will include a dialogue about UW-Madison student Eneale Pickett’s controversial sweatshirts that proclaim “All white people are racist.”

“I don’t think people will be in the room without an opinion about what’s being discussed, but they’ll want to engage,” Sims said.