Desbiens, top-ranked Badgers open six-game roadtrip against No. 7 Clarkson Golden Knights

After a hard-fought series with Ohio State, No. 1 Wisconsin (3-0-1 WCHA, 3-0-1 overall) is set to head on the road for a tough, non-conference matchup with No. 7 Clarkson (2-1-1 overall) this weekend.

Friday’s home opener was a historic one for the Badgers, as senior goalie Ann-Renée Desbiens set the program record for career shutouts (40) in UW’s 3-0 victory.

The Badgers jumped out to a quick 1-0 lead just minutes into the first period on a goal by junior forward Emily Clark. UW continued to pressure Ohio State in its zone, but was unable to find the back of the net. However, just before the end of the second period, Clark lit the lamp for the second time, extending the lead to 2-0.

UW would add one final goal in the third period after senior defenseman Jenny Ryan raced out of the penalty box and slipped the puck past Buckeye goalie Kassidy Sauve.

The Badgers entered Saturday’s game with a program-record 26-game home winning streak, but that streak looked to be in jeopardy for much of the game. Despite only registering one shot on goal in the period, OSU jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the second period. Like Friday, UW had many opportunities to score, but Sauve held firm.

However, an Ohio State penalty late in the third period gave the Badgers one last opportunity. Sophomore left wing Sam Cogan slipped the puck past Sauve with just 1:54 left in regulation to bring the LaBahn crowd to their feet.

The game went into overtime, where it remained scoreless, setting up a shootout opportunity.

Both UW and the Buckeyes’ first skaters missed their shots. Freshman forward Abby Roque, next up for the Badgers, raced down the ice and beat Sauve for what would be the eventual game-winner.

“[There are] a lot of good things ahead of us, it’s no better than to go on the road and get tested, so with Clarkson we’ll have a couple of great games up there,” Wisconsin head coach Mark Johnson said following Saturday’s shootout win. “Those [non-conference] challenges, looking big picture, will help you at the end of the year.”

Clarkson is coming off of a home-and-home series against rival No. 9 St. Lawrence, in which it went 0-1-1, losing game one 2-1 and tying 3-3 in the series finale.

The Golden Knights return 17 letterwinners from last year’s NCAA Frozen Four team, but lost All-American defenseman Erin Ambrose to graduation.

Clarkson enters the series averaging 2.5 goals per game and 30 shots on goal. UW counters defensively, allowing less than a goal per game (0.75) and just 12.8 shots on goal. Offensively, UW is averaging 3.5 goals per game and an astounding 43.8 shots on goal. The Clarkson defense averages 1.96 goals against per game and 24.5 shots on goal.

The puck drops in Potsdam, N.Y., Friday and Saturday at 2 p.m.