Court to reconvene Thursday over scrutinized voter ID law

Weeks before Election Day, a federal judge pressed the state Wednesday on its implementation of its controversial voter ID law after reports of misinformation.

U.S. District Court Judge James Peterson withheld a ruling, instead ordering all parties to reconvene Thursday to address root issues of the state ID process. The case focuses on the Wisconsin Department of Motor Vehicles’ flaws in issuing voter IDs, brought to light through a The Nation report in September.

Though plaintiffs hope for a last-minute resolution to strike down the voter ID law, Peterson is unlikely to do so, stating it is above his authority. However, substantial reform is still within reach. The judge is fighting for simplified education and access to the voting process.

According to the plaintiffs in the suit, state DMV offices have inconsistently issued voting IDs to citizens without birth certificates. Concerned with this state of affairs, Peterson is calling attention to all facets of the voter ID information process:

"There's still a real failure to communicate in simple terms what you need to get an ID. This isn't rocket science-level stuff here, something as simple as a one-page handout is still not available to the citizens of the state," Peterson said at the hearing Wednesday.

Peterson ordered a review of the case because "the state is willing to make minimal efforts, unless it's compelled to do so by this litigation."

"I would be at a loss to figure out what I need to come in and get an ID," he added. "The DMV website does not provide a simple explanation of what you need to get an ID if you don't have a birth certificate."

Elections Commision Administrator Mike Haas said he was willing to work with the court to reform the process.

"We're happy to try to take whatever steps we can to comply with what he expects,” Haas said during his testimony.