Associated Students of Madison Representative Kenneth Cole sent a letter to the members of the Student Services Finance Committee Thursday, announcing his resignation from the group and ASM as a whole.

Cole announces intent to resign from ASM

Kenneth Cole, a Student Council representative, has announced his intent to resign from his role in the Associated Students of Madison, quickly following a petition circulating on social media calling for him to step down.

But ASM Chair Carmen Goséy said she is unsure of Cole’s status on the council as he did not give an official notice to resign from the body. She said she does not know if he intends to only resign from his seat on the Student Services Finance Committee or his position on Student Council as well.

Cole was also slated for possible removal from SSFC during its Thursday meeting for racking up too many unexcused absences, but did not attend the meeting and instead sent in a letter indicating his resignation from that committee and student government as a whole.

In the letter, Cole said that being a part of ASM has taken a “damaging toll” on his academic standing, mental health and public image, among other things.

“At the forefront, I feel compelled to do this because of my relationship with God and what I believe God is telling me in my life currently,” Cole wrote.

Cole did not immediately respond to a request for comment.