Brotherton using experience with national team to prepare for No. 1-ranked Maryland

Wisconsin men’s soccer defender, Sam Brotherton, earned his seventh cap for the New Zealand national team Tuesday night, playing 32 minutes against the United States in a tightly contested 1-1 draw.

The impressive result for the All Whites came just three days after they held strong against a highly touted Mexico team. According to Brotherton, the two great showings have the team feeling like they can do anything.

“It’s a really positive feeling in camp,” he said. “The boys are really proud of what we put together over the last 10 days or so.”

While Brotherton was in his familiar center back role against the U.S., he’s not used to coming into a match as a substitute. It was difficult for him to get adjusted to the speed of the game, especially with the athleticism that many of the top American players have.

Still, the UW-Madison sophomore was grateful for the experience.

“Coming off the bench as a center back is never easy, but I was really glad to get an opportunity to play against such a high-profile team in the U.S.,” Brotherton said. “It was a great experience and something I’ll learn from, so it was very enjoyable.”

Brotherton said his latest stint with the AllWhites helped him to focus on smaller details like moving the ball quickly, but the Badgers’ captain is now ready to rejoin his college team ahead of its Friday clash with No. 1-ranked Maryland.

“I’ve been away from the boys now for three games, so I can’t wait to get back with them,” Brotherton said. “I feel a little indebted to them in all honesty, having missed a few games, so I’m extra motivated to get a positive result Friday.”

The Badgers will soon travel to College Park to face Maryland, playing what will be their toughest match of the season to date and looking for a fourth conference win. Should UW manage to upend the Terps, it would double its conference win total from the previous two seasons combined.

Brotherton, and his teammates, will be ready.