British band The Wombats thrill Madison and embrace exhilarated audience response

Last Saturday, teenagers waited anxiously as the doors of the Majestic Theatre were soon to open and feature the across-the-pond band, The Wombats. The long line ran down the entire block and impatience was wafting in the air. A girl sporting a Wombats t-shirt at the beginning of the line eagerly said to a friend, “I’ve been waiting here since 10:30 a.m.!” as the clock struck eight and the crowd filtered into the glowing doors.

The night started off with the opening band Mona from Nashville. Their classic rock sound electrified the room, perfectly warming up the crowd for the main act. Lead singer Nick Brown, had an impressively powerful voice that resonated with Jon Bon Jovi as he gripped the microphone and reverberated each note throughout the theatre. The song “Teenager” ended with an invigorating falsetto that thrilled the audience. And once they began the song “Shooting the Moon,” Brown pulled out a camera and filmed the entire performance as he dove into the crowd. Everyone was wild with excitement.

After a brief break, The Wombats arrived on stage with ear-piercing screams from the audience welcoming them. They opened with their popular hit “Give Me a Try,” giving the audience a chance to join in the a cappella breaks with almost everyone in the room knowing the lyrics by heart. Their playful song “Jump Into the Fog,” brought the crowd to an energetic high, compelling them to dance and jump to the beat. “Moving to New York” opened with impressive drumming, establishing a high-intensity beat that pulsated throughout the rest of the song. The Liverpool natives’ distinct British accents came through as they took a pause between songs, exclaiming that they were getting good vibes from the charming city of "Mahdisohn." The anthem dedicated to the past, “1996,” energized the room of millennials. The night reached its peak with the song “Pink Lemonade,” when lead singer Matthew Murphy reached a new level of emotion with a stirring falsetto, crooning about his ex being with another man. The set slowed down with a moving rendition of their song “Isabel,” before ending on a positive note with the psychedelic and vibrant “Greek Tragedy.”

The Wombats emit a fun, playful and energetic sound that compliments today’s modern British pop scene. At times, it was hard to hear the music with the loud enthusiasm of the crowd and the acoustics of the majestic amplifying every sound in the room. Yet, this did not bring down the vigor of the night. The Wombats have a clearly dedicated fan base. The crowd exuded a thrilling vitality that only amplified the night’s experience, with the music feeding off this energy and performing a dynamic show.