Even with a regular season title in hand, Baylee Wellhausen and the Badgers are looking to sweep Minnesota this weekend

Badgers welcome conference-rival Ohio State to Madison

Top-ranked Wisconsin (2-0 WCHA, 2-0 overall) is set to return to action after its bye week to host Ohio State (0-0, 2-0) in a weekend showdown at LaBahn Arena.

The Badgers began their season with two victories over St. Cloud State this weekend. UW wasted little time getting the offense going in the new campaign, scoring six goals by five different players, including two from junior forward Baylee Wellhausen in a 6-0 victory in the first game. Senior goalie Ann-Renée Desbiens tied the program’s shutout record with 39, a record she hopes to take sole ownership of this weekend.

The Badgers faced some adversity in game two, entering the final period trailing by a goal. Wisconsin would explode for three goals in the last 10 minutes, though, including two from sophomore forward Sam Cogan.

“A lot of good things came out of the weekend,” head coach Mark Johnson said at a press conference Monday, according to UWBadgers.com. “But the most important thing was we got past the starting gate, and we got five good practices in last week.”

Ohio State began its season on the road, sweeping a two-game series with Rensselaer. The Buckeyes came out firing offensively, scoring three goals in the first period on their way to a 4-1 victory. In the series finale, sophomore forward Maddy Field scored both of the Buckeyes’ goals in their 2-0 shutout.

Ohio State comes to Madison as a young team with 14 underclassmen and only two seniors on the roster. It also enters the season with a new head coach in Nadine Muzerall, the team’s third coach in three seasons, who was hired less than three weeks before the first game of the year.

The Buckeyes were picked to finish seventh in the WCHA by the coaches before the season started and are in the middle of a difficult stretch to begin the year, playing on the road for three straight series.

Badger forward Claudia Kepler is set to see her former team for the first time since transferring from Ohio State in the off-season. Although Kepler will be sitting out due to transfer rules, she will be seeing many of her former teammates. The Verona, Wis. native led the team in goals in all three seasons when she was a part of the team. Last season, Kepler added 14 goals and 11 assists, leading the team with 25 points.

“I know the team is excited to play at home and have our home opener; it’s certainly a big weekend for us,” Johnson said.

The puck drops at LaBahn Arena Friday at 7 p.m. and Saturday at 1 p.m.