Memorial Library holds grand opening for graduate student study room

Memorial Library had its grand opening for the graduate study room on the 4th level of the building Wednesday afternoon.

An open house was held from 3-5 p.m. for students and staff, who could ask questions about the room and technologies provided in the remodeled office space.

Focus groups with librarians and UW-Madison graduate students revealed a strong desire from graduate students to have a space expressly for them on campus.

Memorial Library’s technology services coordinator, Dave Luke, shared his excitement for the new room.

Luke stressed the importance of providing a designated place for graduate students to do research and study.

“It’s something libraries hear all the time,” Luke said.  “Students saying that it motivates them to be in a space with people doing similar work.”

Promotion for the new room took place on Memorial Library’s social media sites, including Facebook and Twitter, and via the Grad Connections weekly email.

The space includes lounge chairs and booths for small group work. There is also a practice room for students looking to work on presentations.

The room is only available to graduate students on campus. Students must first register at the Memorial Library circulation desk to be entered in the system and gain access when they scan to enter the study space.