Vince Biegel

Vince Biegel and the Wisconsin defense held the No. 8 team in the country to just six points on the road in another upset win over Michigan State.

Hornibrook shines, defense stifles Spartans in Big Ten opener

Any doubts about the No. 11 Wisconsin Badgers (1-0 Big Ten, 4-0 overall) after last week’s close win over the Georgia State Panthers are now gone as they upset the No. 8 Michigan State Spartans (0-1, 2-1) in a 30-6 win in East Lansing to remain undefeated.

No one knew quite what we would see from redshirt freshman quarterback Alex Hornibrook in his first career start, but he blew any expectations out of the water, finishing 16-of-26 for 195 yards, a touchdown and an interception in one of the better performances by a Wisconsin passer in recent years.

He dropped dimes up and down the field on the Spartans’ defense, his only interception coming on the last throw of the first half on a failed Hail Mary attempt. Wisconsin’s defense made it much easier for Hornibrook, as the Badgers generated four turnovers and kept Michigan State out of the end zone.

Senior Spartan quarterback Tyler O’Connor rarely had a clean pocket to throw from, and the Wisconsin defense forced him into a number of poor throws, culminating in a trio of interceptions. Michigan State was able to move the ball well on some drives, but the Badgers stood strong when the Spartans crossed into their territory.

UW outcoached its opponent on both sides of the ball and seemed to be in control for most of the game, on the road in a hostile environment. This game should be huge for the Badgers’ confidence moving forward, and they are going to need to play their best football of the season next week as they head to Ann Arbor to take on the No. 4 Michigan Wolverines.