Federal government shutdown looms as spending bill fails in Senate

Senate Democrats blocked a Republican continued resolution Tuesday, increasing the chances of a government shutdown if a deal is not reached by Oct. 1.

Democrats argue the bill did not address the drinking-water crisis in Flint, Mich.. Top Democrats want to take action and approve more funding after the crisis, which left most households and businesses unable to use the toxic water.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., proposed the initial bill Monday that addressed numerous Democratic concerns, but did not feature aid for Flint. The bill included relief aid for Louisiana, funding to combat Zika and clarified some of the more controversial amendments to the continuing resolution.

The bill failed to pass on a 55-to-45 vote.

“We have to get Flint done … we understand the communities that we represent, and our minority caucuses do not want to vote for a bill that does not have Flint in it,” House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said Tuesday.

Senate Republicans backed a water projects bill earlier this month that included $220 million for Flint, and said they would urge the House to do the same. Democrats are skeptical and without a concrete, written agreement will not take their word at face value.

McConnell said if this was an issue for Democrats, he would consider eliminating funding for Louisiana as well.

“We keep hearing that their position is no Flint, no floods. And that’s certainly an option worth discussing,” McConnell said.

McConnell included $500 million in disaster relief for Louisiana and Texas. Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said this amounts to hypocrisy on the Republican side.

“The Republicans are essentially saying the disasters in our states are more important than the disasters in your states,” Reid said.

The White House called for a quick resolution to the dispute in order to prevent widespread cuts to government services if a deal isn’t reached by Friday.

“Congress should quickly pass targeted funding to support Flint, Mich., whether in the Water Resources Development Act or another vehicle,” to avoid an election-season government shutdown, the Obama administration said in a statement.

Cutline: House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis., and Republican leadership are haggling over a continuing resolution to fund the government and avoid a shutdown.