The Badgers' upset win over LSU is just one of the many highlights from a historic year in Wisconsin athletics. 

Clement looking for retribution

The running back position is arguably the most prestigious position at the University of Wisconsin, and this year’s group looks as promising as ever. The Badgers are currently sitting three-deep at both halfback and fullback, yet the talent extends even further down the depth chart.

Corey Clement is the undisputed workhorse of the Badger backfield this season. After a disappointing season in which Clement was hampered by injury and off the field issues, it appears the senior running back has a renewed sense of self and an improved approach on and off the field. Coaches, as well as teammates, have praised Clement in recent weeks stating he has grown and matured through last season’s adversity.

“He was faced with a situation where he had high hopes and aspirations of having a big time season, and then the injury came and it all just kind of snowballed out of control on him,” Clement’s position coach, John Settle said.

“He realizes now it’s not all about him and he’s become a part of the team and part of the group as far as our running back classroom goes.”

Having Clement return to the fray brings premier status back to the Badgers’ backfield. Though the depth chart beneath him is indeed substantially deep, Clement has the “x-factor” that only certain backs possess. He can make an unblocked defender miss, is a viable passing threat and at 227 pounds on just a 5-foot-11 frame, you don’t want to be on an island trying to bring him down solo.

The next man up in rotation this season is said to be Taiwan Deal. Deal unseated Dare Ogunbowale during fall camp after being challenged by Settle. Settle, who arrived just last season, said his first impression of Deal was that he wasn't mentally tough.

“I challenged him and he stepped up,” Settle said. “He’s shown the ability to come out and prepare day in and day out. Now we have to get him to the dance and see how he performs for us.”

Settle’s words are backed-up by his recent decision to put Deal above Ogunbowale on the depth chart, but don’t worry if you're a fan of Ogunbowale. The Badger’s offensive captain will still see a lot of time in rotation.

Settle insisted he is still very much a part of the Badgers’ offensive game plan.

“You will see him on third down. He handles all our pass protections and he’s a great route runner. But, that being said, don't be surprised if you see him in on first or second down because he can really do it all.”

Clearing the holes for that talented group of halfbacks and taking on their own offensive roles, the fullback spot has become a profound position at Wisconsin. Following in the footsteps of Derek Watt, the torch has been passed to the talented but diverse trio of Alec Ingold, Austin Ramesh and Leon Jacobs.

Ingold, a Green Bay native, has solidified himself as the first fullback in that rotation, but he’s aware of the sharks beneath him.

“We’re all making each other a lot better,” Ingold said when asked about the competition at the position.

“From spring to now I can tell I’ve been making a lot of strides along with everyone else who is playing that position. We are all playing a lot better and it’s really competitive every practice.”

Ingold secured the position due to consistency and his capacity to be a threat out of the backfield and not just a lead blocker. You can expect to see him on nearly any down and doing any number of different things. He has shown the ability to carry the ball and contribute in the passing game in addition to being able to block both on the interior and edge of the offense. This complete package is something the Badgers have been desperately missing.

However, you can still expect to see Ramesh and Jacobs interchanged regularly to relieve Ingold in stretches. Both are more than capable of carrying the load at the fullback position and have their own unique skillset. Ramesh, who is second on the depth chart, is more similar to Ingold, but Jacobs is the real bruiser of the group.

Coming up in the ranks is some real talent so don’t be too sad about this being Clement’s last year. Keep an ear to the ground and an eye on the sky for Pittsburgh transfer Chris James and redshirt freshman Bradrick Shaw.