UW-Madison black womxn spread their magic across campus

Black Girl Magic

Arts. Academics. ASM. Social justice. Student organizations. Research. In these realms and just about every other area of interest on and around University of Wisconsin-Madison, black womxn are spreading their magic. Black womxn leaders on campus are working hard to cultivate a community that is not only safe for us, but also inspiring. Our presence in various campus spaces is highlighting and celebrating our diverse interests and our many facets, while simultaneously cultivating a diverse community, safe spaces and atmospheres that are conducive to our success.

Currently, a host of black womxn serve prominent roles that contribute to the campus community. For the first time in campus history, UW-Madison’s student council organization, Associated Students of Madison, has two black womxn occupying both leading positions – senior Carmen Gosey as chair and junior Mariam Coker as vice chair of ASM. Student Katrina Morrison serves as a representative of the College of Letters and Sciences. Another student organization, the Campus Women’s Center houses Support Service Coordinator Janetta Hill and Outreach Coordinator Samantha Adams. Both students are juniors. The CWC will be welcoming senior Ajanae Dawkins as program coordinator, and sophomore Zawadi Carroll as volunteer coordinator this fall. The CWC has also hosted workshops written and facilitated by black womxn and womxn of color on topics ranging from natural hair care to mental health. This past school year, UW’s Black Student Union, experienced a streak of amazing successes in attaining their goal of addressing the needs of black students on campus. This accomplishment would not have been possible without the plethora of womxn in leading and supporting positions of the organization. Graduate student Zhalarina Sanders serves as executive director of the JVN Project, an organization that aims to use hip-hop to promote learning and literacy. Many of JVN’s division leaders and staff are also black womxn who facilitate spoken word workshops in near high schools as part of many initiatives. The JVN Project works closely with campus organizations to serve the Madison community at large. We are looking forward to the 2016-'17 academic year to see more events, initiatives and goal-reaching from these organizations and the black womxn who lead them.

Further, black womxn have and are continuing to stamp their names on the art scene here at UW and in Madison. Recently, Melana Bass, a First Wave scholar, developed her first solo visual-art show titled “Black Girl Everything,” during which she showcased mixed-media visual art based on “the contemporary, mythical journey of black girl magic.” Also, the Chazen Museum recently housed the installation of “Hoodwinked,” developed by student Jay Katelansky. Jay earned her MFA this past spring and was the recipient of the “2016 Chazen Museum Prize for an Outstanding MFA Student.” We can be sure to expect more exceptional art created by black womxn, for black womxn this next school year.

These womxn, and many more strive for greatness every single day. From spearheading initiatives such as #TheRealUW to holding their own as the only black womxn in their programs and other spaces, the black womxn at UW-Madison are nothing less than magical. As we welcome the new freshman class to UW-Madison, we also welcome the incoming black womxn within it – the soon-to-be trailblazers, artists, activists, and womxn committed to change and forward movement. The shoes may seem big to fill, but they are stepping into a community that is built on support and sustained by love and perseverance.