Cleveland Indians will transition to more accurate logo in 2017

All articles featured in The Beet are creative, satirical and/or entirely fictional pieces. They are fully intended as such and should not be taken seriously as news.

Beginning in 2017, the Cleveland Indians will replace their red-faced ‘Chief Wahoo’ logo with what the organization has called a more accurate depiction of the team’s name.

The future logo will feature an offensive caricature of a man from the country of India, rather than one of a Native American man. The current image shows how the misnomer ‘Indians’ has been used to describe indigenous inhabitants of the Americas for centuries.

“We are very proud of the Indians and our rich tradition here in Cleveland,” Indians owner Paul Dolan said. “But times are changing. It’s 2016 and we need a logo that is a little less racist and a little more politically correct.”

The ‘Chief Wahoo’ logo originated in the 1950s and has been the source of controversy and protest, especially during the last three decades.

Early reactions to the announcement show critics are just as displeased as they were before.

“Though we weren’t thrilled about the mascot being a misnomer, the fact that the logo was racist was a much bigger issue which hasn’t been resolved,” a Penobscot Indian Nation press release said. “The new proposed logo is no longer directed towards our ethnicity specifically, but is equally as wrong.”

“You can’t make everybody happy,” Dolan said in response to the backlash. “It’s impossible.”

Many long time fans say they are disappointed, but will still continue to root for their home team.

“I’m going to miss wearing red face paint and feathers to games, but my wife will look good in sari robes,” said fan Mitch Wheeler.