UW-Madison community braves frigid May weekend for Spring Commencement

According to UW-Madison spokesperson Meredith McGlone, a crowd of roughly 47,500 families and friends of graduates attended the 2016 Spring Commencement Saturday in Camp Randall Stadium despite strong winds, cold temperatures and brief snow.

Throughout the weekend, about 6,800 students attended commencement ceremonies. More than 900 graduate and professional students went to the Kohl Center Friday and almost 5,900 bachelor's, master's and law students were on the field of Camp Randall Saturday.

Russell Wilson, Super Bowl-winning quarterback for the Seattle Seahawks and former leader of the Badger football team, and UW-Madison Chancellor Rebecca Blank led a procession of university administrators, deans, a UW System Board of Regents and representatives from the senior class to begin the commencement ceremony.

Wilson delivered the keynote address of the ceremony. He discussed how to handle life’s challenges, and told students what to do when life says “no.”

“Because if you know what you’re capable of, if you’re always prepared and you keep things in perspective, then life has a way of turning no into yes,” Wilson said.

Throughout his speech, Wilson told attendees stories about his athletic career, both at North Carolina State University and UW-Madison, and how he overcame hurdles through hard work. At the end of his speech, Wilson encouraged students to make their own stories.

“So ‘On Wisconsin!’ I would say good luck, but I don’t believe in good luck. Go make it happen. This is my story,” Wilson said. “Now it’s time to write your own. Congratulations to the Class of 2016!”

Wilson’s speech was live streamed, and the entire commencement ceremony is available to view online.

Several speakers spoke about recent activism at the university. UW-Madison Senior Class Vice President Bhupinder Manhani talked about making a difference as a Badger, and he referenced students using #TheRealUW to fight what he called enduring racism on campus.

“Know that what you are doing is right, because you are making a difference,” Manhani said. “Each in our way, we have all made a change for the better.”

The campus activism Manhani referenced in his speech was evident throughout the semester, perhaps most notably following the interruption of a class by UW-Madison Police Department officers and their arrest of UW-Madison student Denzel J. McDonald, also referred to as King Shabazz. He was charged with 11 counts of graffiti, but will not be prosecuted.

The arrest led to hundreds of students walking out of class and issuing five demands, including an assurance that McDonald would be able to graduate in May.

McDonald attended the commencement Saturday as a part of the 2015-’16 graduating class.

To conclude Manhani’s speech, he, Wilson and three other senior class officers, led the crowd and students on “Jump Around.”

UW-Madison graduate Noah Sevett said he was so happy that he would not even complain about the weather, though it was tempting. He said the roughly 90-minute commencement was a great send-off for his college experience.

“It’s a combination of thrilling and really strange,” Sevett said. “I feel like I’ve been doing this for so long, but at the same time, I started here five years ago, it just seems like no time. It’s just flown by.”