UW-Madison has added more scholarships for its summer term in the hopes of incentivizing more students to sign up.

UW-Madison adds more scholarships to encourage students to enroll in summer term

UW-Madison has increased its available summer scholarships from $25,000 to $250,000 as an incentive for students to enroll in the summer term, according to a university news release.

University administrators say they hope these scholarships will encourage more students to take advantage of the accelerated courses available during the summer.

“These courses can help them graduate in four years and avoid paying additional tuition and rent,” said Jeffrey Russell, dean of continuing studies and vice provost for lifelong learning.

The university also added more courses that allow students to gain real-world experience. New options include a political science course that offers internships at a legislative office in Washington D.C. and an archaeology course that allows its students to “get hands-on practice at a dig.”

By adding more online courses for the summer term, administrators say they hope to make these classes more accessible to students who are not in Madison for the summer or have busy schedules.

“It offered me flexibility to take a class on campus while also working full time. Being able to tailor my education to my needs helped me succeed both academically and professionally,” said student Sage Bladow said in the release.

Enrolling in the three-to-eight-week summer courses also provides students with the opportunity to take advantage of the Madison summer scene while pursuing their studies.

“Summer in Madison is unlike the busy semesters,” student Maria Novak said. “The Terrace was practically in my backyard, and the music scene is incredible. I wouldn’t have traded the opportunity to remain on campus for a different experience elsewhere.”

Enrollment for summer term begins March 28, and the deadline to apply for scholarships is April 5.