Political change starts with us

Despite outside skepticism, students remain as committed to politics as ever

With 2016 being a major election year, it's nearly impossible to go a day without hearing or consuming political news of some sort. As college students, this time is especially important, because for many of us it marks the first time being able to vote in a presidential election.

In our second of three Action Project issues, Daily Cardinal staffers set out to explore Madison’s political environment.

The city has the reputation of being liberal, but is that the case for all of its inhabitants? How do UW students convey their own political interests, and how do these actions differ from the city’s long-term dwellers?

Though their political views have occasionally been at odds with each other, students and residents have also found common ground through activism.

There is a rich history of advocacy within Madison. From anti-war protests to civil rights rallies, residents and students have repeatedly come together to express their desires for political change.

Recently, students have mobilized to voice their opinions on a new crop of political topics. Issues related to racial equality and diversity, environmental sustainability and women’s health have been at the forefront of not only campus conversations, but national headlines as well. Muslim students have also promoted awareness about their religion and culture amid recent fears of ISIS across the world.

While protests and public demonstrations are visible indicators of student engagement, they certainly aren’t the only methods of civic activism. Many Wisconsin students have turned their passion for politics into a career path and ran for elected positions.

For the vast majority of students, however, our future jobs won’t involve a life in public office. But we can all have an impact on government by voting for the candidates whose values and policies most align with our own. No matter which person that may be, the electoral process is there to ensure everyone’s voice is heard.

This year is an important one for our country, filled with decisions and different opportunities for change. We hope this issue lends insight and perspective to our campus’ long history of activism and how those political undertones exist today.

The Daily Cardinal would like to acknowledge and thank the Evjue Foundation, the charitable arm of The Capital Times, for making the Action Project possible. What areas of our coverage did you enjoy? Was there an area of Madison’s political climate we missed out on? We’d love for our readers to be part of the Action Project conversation. Please send all comments and concerns to Jim and Emily at edit@dailycardinal.com.