Gender shouldn’t be the deciding factor in any presidential election.

Gender can’t solely pick the next president

When I was younger, I was constantly taught to act like a woman. Until one day I asked, “what does it mean to be a woman?” One of my teachers in elementary school scolded me for not acting like a girl. I did not like wearing skirts or dresses and preferred to play computer games with boys over other things. In some moments of my life I had confusions over my gender. I enjoyed playing like a girl with toys; the issue was that I was labeled as a renegade for taking interest in seemingly masculine hobbies. Gender is not only complex, but also a plays a big role in society. I would like to argue that gender should not be the defining factor in all matters. As its complex nature will tell—it is merely a part of interests, not the conclusive kind.

The Democratic primary elections this year have been a realm of feminist discussions. Some iconic feminist figures like Gloria Steinem and Madeleine Albright have commented on how it is shocking to see the lack of camaraderie among young women voters, especially around college campuses, by not endorsing former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. With 53 percent of the female vote being won by Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., in the New Hampshire primary, it seems evident that not all women are shooting for the female candidate. It is an undoubtedly historic moment to witness a woman make a try for the U.S. presidency, the unchallenged sanctuary of male dominance, but should gender be the absolute deciding factor over all the other causes for this case? I am a woman, and I identify myself as a feminist to some degree, but it seems like a hasty conviction to assume that all women would be pro-female.

The female involvement and support in politics has become more complex. Gender itself is an intersectionality—not a single factor, but a multitude of contributing factors and identities. Just like how I mentioned before, gender is a very complicated identity. I could still identify as a woman even if I am cross-dressing. Gender is only a part of many identifying factors of individuals. A white middle-class woman may lead a very different life or have varying interest than a working-class African-American woman.

You can see this gender influence when you look at the gender pay-gap. Its intersectional nature should be equally reflected on societies.

Politics are a representation of people’s interests. People support the candidate with a better reflection of their interests and causes. If a woman thinks the advancement of femininity is the most urgent cause to be represented, then they would support the candidate with the closest reflection of their interest. Women who are more interested in reducing college debts would likely bet their chances on the candidate whose proposed policy addresses that very issue. As politics are increasingly becoming more complicated with conflicting or diverse interests, it seems inaccurate to assume that women should necessarily vote for the female candidate over the male.

Gender should be a factor, but it should not negate all the other political and social aspects in determining the collective leadership, or else the election of an ideal authority would be lost. The elected leadership should be considered carefully through multiple factors, not a single sole factor. If only one factor determined the election of a leadership, it would resemble the dictatorship of a single interest or the failed democracy of collective thoughts.

People should not depend heavily on a single factor, identity or representation to outweigh the costs of other factors. We should search for the cause that is the most acceptable of diverse representations. We should carefully look over the various categories of intersectionality to judge who would be the more ideal candidate to better represent this nation. But it should be eventually be the choice of individuals to seek out the ideal candidate themselves, as we were dictated to choose. People should be given the right to choose who better represents their causes, and then the collection of such considerations will hopefully procure an improved leadership for the future.

Hae Rin is a sophomore majoring in history. Let us know what you think. Send us an email at opinion@dailycardinal.com.