The newly selected managing director of Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation, Erik Iverson, previously worked as an attorney within the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

Expert in scientific research, business initiatives to be WARF managing director

The Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation selected Erik Iverson, a nationally recognized leader in advancing scientific research and managing intellectual property, as the new managing director of the organization.

WARF is a private, nonprofit group that encourages research at UW-Madison by providing patents on new discoveries and licensing them for commercial use, according to its website. Iverson will take over the role in July, replacing current Managing Director Carl Gulbrandsen, who has worked with the foundation for nearly 20 years.

Iverson is currently the president of a Seattle-based global health research and product development organization, according to a WARF press release, and previously worked as an attorney for the global health and agricultural programs within the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

Peter Tong, chair of the WARF Board of Trustees, praised Iverson for his extensive experience and knowledge surrounding intellectual property management, technology transfers, collaborative research initiatives and tax matters.

“Erik's portfolio of experience is an exceptional match for leading WARF into the future," Tong said in the release. "He brings the perfect blend of knowledge in technology transfer along with scientific discovery. His experience in advancing transformative work in the global health arena as well as in philanthropy prepares him incredibly well for service to WARF and the UW-Madison research community.”