UW-Madison has produced 3,184 Peace Corps Volunteers since the organization was founded in 1961.

UW-Madison ranked second-largest producer of Peace Corps volunteers in 2016

Several UW-Madison students are putting elements of the Wisconsin Idea into practice by volunteering with the Peace Corps, according to a Thursday university release.

In 2016, UW-Madison was the second-largest producer of Peace Corps Volunteers, according to the organization’s ranking of the top volunteer-producing colleges and universities.

Rita Argus, a 2014 UW-Madison graduate and Peace Corps Volunteer, referred to the Wisconsin Idea as a motivator in her decision to volunteer abroad.

“The thought that what we are learning in the classroom should be applicable to real-world situations,” Argus said in a university press release. “I think this has really conditioned me to better apply what I learned to help with problems and challenges I am encountering here.”

The Peace Corps gives graduates the opportunity to put their educational interests to work while volunteering abroad.

Peace Corps Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet said today’s college graduates “understand the importance of intercultural understanding.”

“The Peace Corps is a unique opportunity for college graduates to put their education into practice and become agents of change in communities around the world,” Hassler-Radelet said in the release.

UW-Madison has been among the top Peace Corps Volunteer producers since the organization’s founding according to the release, with 3,184 volunteers since 1961.

Argus traveled internationally for several projects during her time at UW-Madison, which she said gave her experience for what life would be like as a volunteer.

“I like using my talents to make the world a little better—and Peace Corps is an awesome opportunity to do just that,” Argus stated in the release.